On July 29, 2015 Microsoft released its latest operating system Windows 10 to the public to download. As per Microsoft’s announcement, all the users of Windows running 7, 8 and 8.1 will be eligible for a free download for one year. But the only catch being the users should be on a genuine and licensed copy of Windows. Till date Microsoft has released that over 110 million devices are running Windows 10, but still for many, they are stuck on the older versions of Windows because they are unable to download Windows because of lack of knowledge or due to some errors. So for that reason here in this article we are going to cover the process to download and install Windows 10 on your PC and/or laptop.
But before we move forward we need to check out for some pre-requisites needed. For starters, your computer should either be running Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 genuine and licensed versions. Secondly you should be having an active internet connection to download Windows. In case you are on a metered connection, do check with your ISP about it because the entire download takes about 3GB of data to download. Once we have all these done, the first thing you should do it to update your current version of Windows to the latest version by checking for updates in your “Windows update” section.
After all the updates for your current version are downloaded and installed, follow the steps given below.
- Now you can find that your computer must have received a new app called “Get Windows 10”. Earlier this app would let users to reserve their copy of Windows to be downloaded on release, but now the app will directly take you to download Windows 10.
- Now to go ahead you can just click on the app and let it do the rest.
- Else you can go to Windows update and ask for it to check for updates again.
- When that is done, Windows update will ask you to download and install Windows 10. That is when you go ahead and click install for Windows 10 to be downloaded and installed on your system.
- Let the update run while you keep using your computer.
- Once the download is complete you can then save all your work and let the installer take over to install you version of Windows 10.
The best part about Windows 10 install is that, it keeps all your previous files untouched and it is compatible with all the apps and programs that are compatible with Windows 7 onwards. Even some programs which are compatible on older version like Windows XP are also supported on Windows 10 and that is the biggest advantage because no one has to worry about compatibility issues with Windows 10.
Now coming to the second issue in hand where some of the users have been facing problem with and that is the direct download option. In that case the second option we have is the ISO way. The steps for that are as follows:
- Go to the Microsoft site and check out the download ISO option of Windows 10.
- Once you find the link, you can download the ISO of the version of Windows whichever you want; i.e. the 32 bit version or the 64 bit one.
- Once the download begins, you can continue with your work until the download completes.
- Once the download is done you can either burn the ISO to a DVD disk or else use proxy programs like Daemon Tools to access the ISO on your computer directly without burning it.
- It will open like any other folder and there you can find the setup application.
- Now it is time for you to save all your work and run the setup so that Windows 10 can be installed on your system.
- It follows exactly the same method of first copying your files, then installing Windows and later updating all your drivers to be Windows 10 ready.
So that is how you can install Windows 10 on your system using the ISO way. Now in case both these do not work, in that case the only final option would be to contact Microsoft support and ask them for help accordingly which they will happily help you. But hopefully you won’tneed that due to the process explained above.
Another thing to be remembered here is that sometimes the copy of Windows 10 gets downloaded but the installation does not happen. In that case what you can do is open command prompt and run it as administrator. Then in there simply type the command “wuauclt.exe/updatenow”. This will jumpstart the process and will start installation of Windows 10 on your system.
Hopefully this article would be a perfect tutorial for you to get Windows 10 on your PC or laptop. Do share your experience about it and also list out any issues in the comments section below for further guidance.